Roaring to Success
The mission of Alston Middle School is to provide all students with the skills and opportunities to become productive citizens.
The vision of Alston Middle School is to be recognized as a "World Class" school, in which partnerships with parents and the community provide each student an individualized, well-rounded education within a nurturing, safe, and creative environment that inspires each child to reach his or her full potential.
Our community chose the Tiger as our mascot for its qualities of strength, courage, and the ability to adapt. Each day, the Tiger reminds us to persist in our learning, to boldly face challenges, and to innovate.
"The Alston Graded School"
By Tiffany Norton
The Alston Graded School opened in 1910. It was one of the first African American schools founded in Dorchester County. The school was named after Dr. J.H. Alston who donated the property on Cedar and 1st North Streets to build the school.
The school housed grades 1-11 until 1949, when the 12th grade was added.
Alston High School was moved to Bryan Street in 1953. The school closed in 1970 after desegregation of county schools. Today Alston Middle School is located on Bryan Street. The original school on Cedar St. and 1st North St. was demolished. The only known artifact that remains of the school is the cornerstone (currently at the Summerville-Dorchester Museum).
The stone (dated 1910) lists Dr. Charles Sheppard as a founding trustee. Dr. Sheppard who is most commonly known in Summerville history for founding the Pinehurst Tea Farm was also one of the primary backers of the Banks School.
The Banks School was operated by the Epiphany Episcopal Church on Central Ave. next door to what is now St. Luke’s Lutheran Church. The Banks school was used for primary school for African Americans until the Alston School was built.